Thursday 22 March 2007

Paralysis by Analysis!


I’ve been thinking about getting a car for some weeks now. As I live in central London, it’s not a necessity, more of a convenience.

I have a number of criteria that I would like the car to meet:
(1) good level of performance
(2) inexpensive to own
(3) the ability to drive round a track a few times a year
(4) relaxed for a drive across the continent
(5) should be rear wheel drive
(6) something a bit different with feel good factor

Of course, no one car is ideal as each criteria met generally means another failed! So in my head, the reasoning will go something like this.

First car – BMW 330i. Quick and fun, yes I like it. However expensive and almost common. So I think Alpina, the more exclusive, faster version. That’s more expensive but looks very similar, not worth it. OK, Porsche Boxster then. Even more expensive and I don’t do a lot of miles, would it really be worth it? So I think Mitsubishi Evo VIII, much faster than the Boxster, but hideous running costs. Maybe an Elise then. Nice. But not quite quick enough for the money and the refinement is terrible. MR2 roadster then? Good, but limited practicality and I’ve had a two seater convertible before. Prelude 2.2? Cheap and quick, but it’s front wheel drive. Nissan 200SX? Pretty close, but doesn’t really make my heart flutter when I’m holding the keys thinking about it. BMW 330i? Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh!


Good old wikipedia has a page on this problem!

No comments: